[rhelv6-list] Kernel memory leak?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Feb 1 16:50:33 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Masopust, Christian <christian.masopust at siemens.com> said:
> any news on this topic?
>
> Here I have some RHEL6 systems that now and then crash (appr. all 10 days)
> and currently I've absolutely no idea why (other RHEL6 run fine on same HW)
>
> How exactly can/should I monitor the memory usage?

I run the SNMP daemon and graph memory usage with Cricket (Cacti is
probably the more popular way these days).

My RHEL 6 server doesn't crash from this.  I run a network backup system
that does a full backup Friday nights and incrementals Monday-Thursday
nights.  Not much changes on this server, so the incremental takes only
takes about 2 minutes (and doesn't do much other than read the
directories).  The full backup only takes about 7 minutes, but does read
all files on the disk (a little over 2G).  This is enough that the
dentry cache frees a lot of its memory and the system keeps going.

I'm not sure that's going to be sufficient in the long term though; the
saw-tooth pattern on my graph is still creeping upwards (the drop in RAM
usage each week doesn't go as low as the week before).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>