[rhelv6-list] RHEL6 kernel 2.6.32-71.14.1.el6.x86_64 panic...

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Mar 4 18:19:38 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Matthias Saou <thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net> said:
> I guess this is also related :
> http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/03/04/1550231/Red-Hat-Stops-Shipping-Kernel-Changes-as-Patches
>
> So they want to bother Oracle? I can understand that. But right now
> what I see is that it also bothers me, a faithful customer. So this is
> a slippery slope...

Mostly that's just the /. crowd being the /. crowd.  I don't really see
the big deal; even when I've gone looking at RHEL kernel sources,
finding bugs, or writing patches, I haven't looked at the broken-out
patches.  I "rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec" and start with their patched
tree.

Since Red Hat forks the kernel for each major RHEL release and never
rebases, I would expect it would be easier to manage their version with
a git tree and just take a periodic snapshot from the git tree to make a
new release.

This doesn't affect the free rebuilds (such as CentOS) that are trying
to make a close-to-exact copy; it primarily affects others (such as
Oracle) that are trying to use RH's engineering to develop patches, then
port those patches to their own modified kernels.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>