[rhelv6-list] Kernel memory leak?

MickyMartin mickylmartin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:01:25 UTC 2011

> On 08/30/2011 04:56 AM, robinprice at ... wrote:
> >

> > I would also encourage a lot of you to open a support case regarding
> > this issue.  But I know some of you are using other alternatives, so I
> > will assist the best I can.  I hope the latest --changelog might
> > assist.  I can't find anything related to said memory leak but will
> > look more into it tomorrow.
> >
> > [rprice <at> x200 ~]$ uname -a>  rhel6.1-changelog.txt
> > [rprice <at> x200 ~]$ echo "---">>  rhel6.1-changelog.txt
> > [rprice <at> x200 ~]$ rpm -qa kernel --changelog>>  rhel6.1-changelog.txt
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/rprice/rhel6.1-changelog.txt
> >
> > ~rp

> Well I am using a really old kernel so maybe I just have to wait for my
> distro to release the newer version. The one I am using is:
>
>   2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 27
>
> And the latest one is
>
> 2.6.32-131.12.1

The newest kernel with patches (from SL and COPlus) 2.6.32-131.12.1 does NOT fix
the issue at all.
In my case, I have been running a dual web service machine with 100 hits a day.
Ram starts increasing when I compile anything. Started mail services and by the
time I woke up next morning, I was like 'Woaaaaah, wtf'. 3 out of 8GB consumed
in cache. The leak is really annoying; it adds 2-5 contiguous MBs every few
minutes and has risked the production environment a lot; tracing the kernel
events doesn't reveal anything particularly related.

CentOS 6, I will see you in two years.
CentOS 5, welcome back traitor.