[rhelv6-list] dhclient running TWICE during boot (RHEL 6.2)

Brian Long (brilong) brilong at cisco.com
Mon Apr 30 13:07:43 UTC 2012

On Apr 30, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 13:56 +0100, Ben wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Paul Smith wrote:
>>> It seems very strange to me that you'd have to disable the standard
>>> network service in order to use NetworkManager (or disable NM to use the
>>> standard network service).  What if I wanted some of my interfaces to be
>>> managed with NM and others not?
>>
>> Isn't that what
>>    NM_CONTROLLED="no"
>> is for in ifcfg-ethN?
>
> Well I can't find that flag described in the RHEL documentation, but
> even so the suggestion was to disable the "network" service.  If I
> disable "network", and I set "NM_CONTROLLED=no", then what will handle
> that interface?  That's what I'm trying to say: I don't think that
> completely disabling "network" is the right way to solve this problem.

If you want to leave network and NetworkManager enabled on boot, you could set "ONBOOT=no" in your ifcfg-Auth-eth0 file.  I believe ONBOOT is only used by the network service and "NM_CONTROLLED" is used by NetworkManager.  I'm fairly certain that if ONBOOT=no, NetworkManager will still try to enable the interface depending on the GUI settings.

/Brian/