[rhelv6-list] cron anacron fcron

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Mon Jan 9 16:18:09 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 08:53 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone please help me understand the difference between cron anacron
> fcron and are there any linux schedulers available in Linux ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal

cron is the name of the original scheduler for unix/linux systems. There
have been a variety of implementations over the years. "man cron" on
your system for more information.  Use "yum search cron" for a list of
packages that are available on your RH6 system.

anacron was written for systems that aren't always on during "off hours"
when normal cron jobs were run. It behaves similarly to cron except that
when a system is booted it checks to see when jobs were last run. If it
has been too long since the daily/weekly/monthly jobs were last done, it
will sleep for a random amount of time and then kick off those jobs.

I haven't used fcron, a quick web search seems to indicate that it is
trying to solve the same problems that anacron does.

What do you mean by linux schedulers?

Hugh