[rhelv6-list] Restricting bugzillas

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Jan 13 21:28:59 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 04:22 PM, William Warren wrote:
> That doesn't explain the sudden shift in marking BZ private by default
> for an open source product.  Ever since the current CEO came in RH has
> been getting more and ore secretive and this goes against the spirit of
> Open Source.

There is a very serious responsibility placed on any company when
receiving potentially private customer data. There is no conspiracy
here, it's simple risk-management. If they leaked private data, even by
accident, they could be sued and/or lose clients.

Consider that Red Hat powers many very large institutions; Governments,
banks, hospitals... This growing privacy issue is simply good risk
management.

As Robin mentioned in her email; Red Hat is going above and beyond what
most any other company would do to keep their clients informed.
Particularly when they know it's used largely by folks who are *not*
customers at all.

I've been bitten by following a trail only to hit a wall with a private
BZ. It's frustrating, for sure. However, it's also understandable. You
can always open a ticket and get any relevant information you need to
solve your problem. Alternatively, if you are not a customer, you can
wait until the issue is resolved and find the solution in the knowledge
base.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron