[rhelv6-list] routing/interface question

Kelly kcobean at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:15:30 UTC 2012

Peter Ruprecht <ruprech at ...> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to get RHEL 6 to give me the behavior
> I'm used to with RHEL 5?  That is, how can I ping the interface on the
> "other" subnet and actually get a reply?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter Ruprecht

You'll need to set the rp_filter value to 0.  Right now, your RHEL6 host is
configured to do strict source route checking, so if an interface receives a
packet for which the reply interface is a different interface, the packet will
be dropped.  Setting rp_filter to 0 allows the system to reply out a different
interface than the packet was received on.  It's a sysctl parameter.

Good luck!