[rhelv6-list] Opinions on multi-head

Krizak, Paul pkrizak at qualcomm.com
Thu Mar 1 22:27:37 UTC 2012

As far as I know, ATI cards can only drive more than two displays if you're using pure DisplayPort protocol.  Using passive DP->DVI adapters you can only drive two monitors.

So if your monitors don't have DP ports, you may not be able to drive more than two of them with either card.  You should check the specs carefully.

But as far as which card to choose -- the NVS450 has 4 ports, the v4900 has three.  The NVS is passively cooled, which is nice.

::shrug:: not sure which way I'd go there.  They're both nice cards.  The main point I was trying to make was that when it comes to configuring large multi-display environments, the Eyefinity stuff makes it very easy, even if the drivers themselves are a bit of a chore to deal with.

----
Paul Krizak
Staff IT Engineer, IAS
Qualcomm, Inc