Re: [rhelv6-list] Manual bootstrap steps at first boot

On Mar 14, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Michael Coffman wrote:

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Darren Patterson <darren patterson stanford edu> wrote:
Years ago it was possible to create an interactive init script that prompted on startup.  This isn't the case anymore, unlike on Debian and Ubuntu.

There are two bootstrap steps that I need to need to prompt for at first boot as root.  Since I can't do that at boot, anyone want to offer some recommendations?

I was considering just having root's shell skel files launch the script (then remove itself on success).  Is there a better way?

Would it be over kill to make use of firstboot?   It looks like you could modify /etc/init.d/firstboot to point to your own set of python scripts to do
custom config via

firstboot -m

I have not tried this, but it seems like it would work as a way to force something the first time the system is booted.

firstboot requires X, which we don't install on our servers.   I am trying to match cli bootstrap functionality with Debian/Ubuntu.

Thanks,

-darren