[rhelv6-list] starting vncserver

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 27 14:15:01 UTC 2012

On 03/26/2012 02:48 PM, Mirko Vukovic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use vnc for remote desktops.  Server is a rhel6 and clients
> on windows
> and other linux machines.
>
> I get an error when I issue "vncserver :1":
>>>>>>
> WARNING: The first attempt to start Xvnc failed, possibly because the font
> catalog is not properly configured.  Attempting to determine an appropriate
> font path for this system and restart Xvnc using that font path ...
> Could not start Xvnc.
>
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already running
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already running
> <<<<<
>
> I have tried issuing this command on both the server (console) and the
> client (remote) side.
>
> I do not understand what is the meaning of the font catalog being
> misconfigured.  Where can I
> learn more about that?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mirko

I'd first investigate to see if any other X servers are listening on :1.
  The "switch user" functionality in the display manager often has the X
server grabbing multiple screens. You may have something listening there
already.

Look for /tmp/.X*lock

You can also try starting vncserver on a different screen (e.g.
vncserver :5) to see if it will start. If it does, it's not the font
catalog.

Hugh