[rhelv6-list] Proper way to add to RHEL6's GDM?

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon May 21 06:53:40 UTC 2012

On 18/05/12 21:36, vincent at cojot.name wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> For the record, i'd like to say that I found a workaround...
> I Added this file:
> # cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
> DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
> This effectively drops the simple gdm greeter and switches to the kdm
> greeter which allows one to select a different X Session.. Problem solved.
>
> So in order to allow choosing a different Xsession (namely
> /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/OpenWin ), I had to drop gdm and use kdm, thereby
> introducing a dependency upon KDE (sigh).
>
> I'm a little bit disappointed.. is there no other (GDM) way to do that?

On my RHEL6 system there is no /etc/X11/gdm directory, instead GDM
sessions are defined in /usr/share/xsessions.

I've used it to create a couple of custom sessions, one that executes
~/.Xclients like it was done in previous RHEL releases, and one that
runs the gnome-session using the real openssh agent instead of using the
poor substitute provided by gnome-keyring.

-tgc