[rhelv6-list] why do errata and package updates fail?

thomas at redhat.com thomas at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 18:55:03 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 01:31 PM, thomas at redhat.com wrote:
> The Protected multilib error tells me you might have two versions (i686
> and x86_64) of a package installed. This is not a big deal, but the
> nature of using RHN to do updates is that it processes each errata and
> the associated RPMs serially. So if you have one erratum which addresses
> the 32-bit version of a file and another which addresses the 64-bit
> version, you might see that. You might get an error when it tries to
> update the first package because of common dependencies with the second.
> Without more of the error message, it's hard to tell, but I don't see
> anything which is seriously alarming in what you've posted. Frustrating,
> for sure. But not unexpected.

My understanding of this ^^^ is probably wrong. I checked and there
should not be different errata for different architectures. I am digging
as to what actually causes that multilib conflict. It would be really
helpful if you could post the whole history. You can dump it in raw
format from the same location I pointed you to earlier.

I'm terribly sorry for the noise. I'll post when I get a better
understanding of what causes this.

--
Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX
Chief Architect, Central US

Red Hat named to Forbes 2012 World's Most Innovative Companies list:
http://www.redhat.com/innovation