[rhelv6-list] Curious vsftpd isssue

Cale Fairchild cfairchild at brocku.ca
Tue Oct 16 00:59:35 UTC 2012

Today I discovered a peculiar issue with the vsftpd init scripts. My
vsftpd daemon stopped authenticating properly because when I restarted
the service as root the vsftpd daemon inherited the current root
environment which included redirected TMP variable set to /root/tmp. Of
course when it was set that way the selinux context was incorrect and
the permissions on the directory itself was very restrictive. I worked
around the problem by resetting my TMP and TMPDIR variables to /tmp and
restarting the service again but I am wondering if this should be filed
as a bug?

Cale Fairchild