[rhelv6-list] Disk Partitioning & Multipathing Question

Tue Feb 5 18:30:53 UTC 2013

Hi All!

I have a strange issue and I'll need your opinion!

I have a rhel 6.3 full updated 64bit installation on a brand new server.

Now I'm trying to configure the multipath daemon... So I have  one disk from my storage with 4 paths, the sdb, sdc, sde and sdf.
Also, the mpathb is the pseudo device created by the multipath daemon for the 4 paths (sdb, sdc, sde, sdf).

The first partition was successfully created using fdisk -cu /dev/mapper/mpathb (first partition path: /dev/mapper/mpathbp1).
The problem that I have is that  I can not see any partitions on the output of the "cat /proc/partitions" command. I was expecting the sdb1, sdc1, sde1 and sdf1, but I can see only the sdb, sdc, sde,sdf.

After that, I ran the partprobe command. And now I can see the right output of the "cat /proc/partitions" command.

The problem is that if I reboot the server, then the  /proc/partitions doesn't display the right partition tables for the sdb, sdc, sde and sdf and I have to rerun partprobe to update the /proc/partition.

Any ideas?