[rhelv6-list] 6.4 anyone?

Thu Feb 21 16:22:26 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
(Santiago) discussion mailing-list <rhelv6-list at redhat.com> wrote:
> DISCLAIMER: I work for Red Hat, but I am NOT in a business unit which
> releases updates, so this is NOT to be interpreted as official Red Hat
> policy! It's based on about seven and a half years of experience here.
> Having said that: What you said is *not* a reliable indicator of future
> behavior. It could very well change.
> We release updates when they're ready, not according to an arbitrary date on
> a calendar. IMHO, the frustration of unpredictable release dates is FAR
> outweighed by the frustration of a busted update. If you start engineering
> to dates, rather than to quality control, you're MUCH more likely to cause
> problems for customers. We really, really don't want to rush something out
> to make a date, only to have something half-baked take down customer
> systems. We release when it's ready.
> Make sense?

Just to add some (even if biased) food for thought to this ... keep
three things in mind ...

1.  Red Hat doesn't point fingers when it's 'not Red Hat's fault,' as
Red Hat is a catalyst and enabler, and takes the burden on its
shoulders, for its greater community, so it always takes ownership
regardless

2.  If Red Hat pre-announced, then pushed it back a week, there would
be an even bigger set of complaints (especially me as I would have to
explain to customers/partners), so understand why this has _never_
been done, especially since ... (keeping #1 in mind) ...

3.  "Acts of God" are not the only things outside of Red Hat's
control, even if some entities feel they have the same power ...  ;)

And with #3 ... /me runs
  -- bjs