[rhelv6-list] Trying to find utilities to manage a Dell Perc 5i (not integrated) from RHEL6

Matthias Saou matthias at saou.eu
Fri Jan 4 12:01:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:53:10 -0600
Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

> I found out in #rhel on Freenode that the "integrated" PERC 5i is only
> called that because it's on a dedicated PCI-E slot. So the device I
> have *is* considered the "integrated" version. Weird.
>
> I just drilled down in the PowerEdge 2950 at Dell.com and found the
> latest firmware and utilities for the PERC 5i integrated. They
> installed just fine, the firmware is as modern as it gets.
>
> Sorry for the noise, but I hope anyone else who is confused by the
> "integrated" label on this controller finds this post and it helps.

My rule of thumb regarding PERC controllers :

 * 'i' means 'Internal', as in "only internal connectors"
 * 'E' (uppercase) means 'External', as in "external connectors"
 * 'e' (lowercase) meant 'PCI expresss', when PCI-X was still common

And if you ever want to manage those cards' firmware without having to
hunt for the right binary on the Dell website, nor having to install a
full blown OMSA (I like minimal systems, for instance), then you could
also checkout this disposable chroot I've created :

http://glee.thias.es/OMSA

HTH,
Matthias

--
            Matthias Saou                  ██          ██