[rhelv6-list] Info on kernel module priority when different one with same name

Fri Jan 11 10:33:02 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm testing an updated be2net kernel module provided by HP on their driver
page.
The system is 6.2 and I built be2net version 4.1.450.7 as it seems it is
required for a virtual connect upgrade where the physical HP blade is.

My kernel is 2.6.32-220.4.2 and comes with be2net driver 4.0.160r .
The latest available from Red Hat is 2.6.32-279.19.1 that contains 4.1.307r

Reading depmod docs I see that currently I have (default) configuration:

/etc/depmod.d/dist.conf
search updates extra built-in weak-updates

Is it correct to say that this mean that if the HP rpm binary I built
installs  be2net.ko in extra, I'm ok without doing anything?
And that if I want to test the two ones and sometimes to revert to old
driver loading without removing the HP one, I can then add when I need it
the line:

override be2net * built-in
?

Thanks in advance,