[rhelv6-list] LDAP without the cruft

Wes Hardin wes.hardin at maximintegrated.com
Thu Jul 18 15:31:33 UTC 2013

On 07/17/2013 09:48 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 07/18/13 at 12:28pm, Ian Mortimer wrote:
>> On 18/07/13 11:44, William Hopkins wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have NSCLD running?
>> Yes.
>>
> My intention is to authenticate using LDAP without running NSCLD. That was in
> my original post. But thanks for the update.

Then you need to remove the nss-pam-ldapd package and compile your own NSS LDAP
library using the PADL sources.

nss-pam-ldapd replaces the old libnss_ldap library with a lightweight NSS
library and a daemon.  nslcd is the daemon that actually does the lookups.
nscld is not cruft.  It's new, but it's not unnecessary.

Read /usr/share/doc/nss-pam-ldapd-0.7.5/README if you want more information.

--wes