[rhelv6-list] Gnome - KDE Desktop switching in RHEL6

Horst Severini hs at nhn.ou.edu
Mon Feb 10 23:43:20 UTC 2014

Hi Hugh and Gianluca,

> gdm uses the *.desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions to determine
> which choices to make available at login time.
> /usr/share/xsessions/kdm.desktop is owned by the kdebase-workspace rpm
> which is part of the kde-desktop yum group.
>
> If the file is there, I'd make sure the permissions are correct on it.

Hmm, that file exists and has the same ownership and permissions as
gnome.desktop, so I don't think that's the problem.

But after I created /etc/sysconfig/desktop with

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

and restart X, then it did come up with KDM instead of GDM,
and there I do have the options to switch back and forward
between KDE and Gnome, so that's great!

I still don't understand why I don't see the option to switch in GDM,
but hey, at least I have a working setup now!

Thanks a lot,

       Horst