Core5 fonts.

Another Fedora newbie question!

I am liking Fedora Core 5 more and more, and would like it to be my
new sole distro. However, I am finding that the fonts look poor when
compared with the other distros I have tried. They are thick and the
edges are "fuzzy" on my 1024x768 15" TFT monitor.

I have tried both KDE and Gnome. I have tried various fonts. I have
tried the usual experimenting with anti-aliasing and
sub-pixel-hinting. Nothing will improve them!

Any ideas, please?

Many thanks.

Keith