Re: Is wireless support any better with FC5?

Hi all,
there is any plan to release in FC5 the AdvancedDatapath WiFi software stack, just released from Devicescape under GPL licence as for http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS1977847793.html  ?
This seem a definitive response to the nigthmare of WiFi in Linux.

Alessandro

On 5/3/06, James Pifer <jep obrien-pifer com> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 10:47 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> Is wireless support any better with FC5?
>
> I'm on FC4 now and have been using ndiswrapper with a Broadcom card for
> some time: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
> Controller (rev 03). Recently my DLink DI-624 router died and I just got
> the replacement. Now I can't get FC4 to reconnect. I can scan the
> wireless network and see it, but I can't connect to it.
>
> I've also tried two PCMCIA cards, a DLink DWL-G650 with the Atheros
> chipset (I've never got this to work) and a CompUSA card with an unknown
> chipset (doesn't work either).
>
> I've also never been able to get WEP to work, so I've been stuck using
> no encryption and filtering MACs. I would filter MACs anyway, but would
> really like to use WEP, even though it's not the greatest security.
>
> All three of these NICs work fine when I boot to Windows XP.
>
> So I'm wondering if FC5 improves anything. I've heard that SUSE is much
> better at handling wireless, but I really like Fedora/Redhat.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> James

Just wanted to post an update here. I've installed FC5, and although I
have some other issues, my wireless card is working great using bcm43xx-
fwcutter with encryption. No ndiswrapper or madwifi.

Many, many thanks to the developer(s) of this little package!

James