"Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!!"

Can anyone please explain to me why my hard drive continuously cycles every three to five seconds,
even when I am not doing anything?  This is incredibly annoying.

I am using FC-4.  Does anyone know if this bug (please don't tell me it is a feature) has been
fixed in FC-5?  Does anyone know if there are any other Linux distributions that do not have this
bug?

Is there any way to turn this activity off, by killing a process, etc.?  If anyone can help me
solve this I promise to buy you your favorite beverage if you are ever in Austin.

Thx!

Mike

FYI:  The subject of this email comes from the cartoon series, "The Jetsons."