FEDORA CORE 3 CONFIGURATION

hi all :-D ,I am working on a project-"packet filter",i am using fedora core 3 as O.S,kindly  someone elaborate me the steps to deal with " make menuconfig" command to configure the kernel before compiling it. A lot of options r seen on window after this command,how 2 know which one is 2 b selected or deselected?

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=84605&topic_id=20698&forum=4#forumpost84605