Where is alsa-lib supposed to be: /etc or /usr/share?

After upgrading to FC5, I've had issues with alsa; a lot of apps. fail to work, and a common failure is like this from mplayer:

ALSA lib conf.c:2841:(snd_config_hook_load) cannot access file /usr/share/alsa/cards/aliases.conf

But alisaes.conf (alsa-lib RPM) is and always has been in /etc/alsa. Where'd this request for /usr/share/alsa come from?

I've symlinked /etc/alsa/* to /usr/share/alsa/* and that seems to get most things running, but it's not entirely happy.

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature