Re: Yum update on FC5 install new kernel but don't update grub.conf

Paul Howarth wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
High jacking a thread here... Thats one of the reasons I don't like yum putzing with my grub.conf.

At home, I've been building the latest Linus or Greg KH kernels from scratch, and I've found that there does not seem to be a maximum number of entries in my grub.conf, so I only clean house when the /boot partition is pretty well filled up, meaning there are probably 20+ entries in my grub.conf at any one time.

To me, editing grub.conf is a no-brainer, and it stays a heck of a lot neater appearing than when yum does it.

However, I expect that for many newbies, editing a grub config file would be an operation accompanied by great trepidation, lest it result in an unbootable system.

Rule #1:  Never, ever, touch a currently working entry in your grub.conf.
So my question then is: Can yum be told to dl and install the new kernels but leave grub.conf alone, and not remove the older kernel?

It's not yum that does this, it's the kernel package post-install script. It would not be a good idea to turn off all scripts in yum as that would break *lots* of things.

You can prevent removals of old kernels by disabling the installonlyn yum plugin.

So I found after reading a few more messages in this thread Paul, and I just set it for 6. Thanks to all the other posters pointing that out.
Paul.

--
Cheers, Gene