Re: sendmail problem

Mike Kent indystar com wrote:

Yes, you are correct, /etc/hosts does seem to be the key but what I've run into is that changing the 127.0.0.1 line by making the hostname fully qualified breaks other things on production servers. I'll probably wind up using define(`confDOMAIN_NAME’, `xx.xx.xx')dnl to set macro $j in sendmail.cf. That effectively bypasses the /etc/hosts issue.

*Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf cha forthnet gr>*
Sent by: fedora-list-bounces redhat com

05/10/06 08:29 AM
Please respond to
kostassf cha forthnet gr; Please respond to
For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>

	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
cc

Subject
	Re: sendmail problem

Ron Watson wrote:

> and by combining that with what you mentioned here about
> no_masquerade_local being enabled,
> perhaps he simply needs to get out of localhost and then all the
> masquerade stuff will start to
> take effect. It's been my experience that many of the older, legacy Unix
> programs are aware
> that 127.0.0.1 is not a "normal" address, and modify their behavior
> accordingly.

Well in a sense 127.0.0.1 was never and will never be a "normal address"
But 127.0.0.1 being the loopack address facilitates many things .
It's the only network interface that all computers have .
The DAEMON_OPTIONS i listed before need to refer to a standard point per
default , that's why there was no reference to  LAN Addresses ( eg
10.0.0.0/8 ,
192.168.0.0/16,...) . Also if someone deletes the

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

line  from /etc/hosts then many things will stop working with X Windows
being one
of them .

Just trying to get  to the actual problem, rather than just fix
symptoms. I was thinking
> that maybe setting his hostname correctly may be all he needs. Like I said, I haven't changed
> the sendmail config on my  system, but at least it knows who it is...

I second your opinion on that . I have changed my hostname and i have
sent mail even with PINE
through the use of MASQUERADING . Although there stands a chance there
is also another
way to do it , i still believe that what you just proposed is the best
thing to do .

Kind Regards.
  Kostas