I need some assistance on audio/visual conversion

I have a video mpg that I would like to rip the sound track out of it...
soundconverter complains of lacking gstreamer codecs, is there a 'easy'
way to do this? Mplayer docs say that it will, but I haven't gotten it
to work. Any links or plain english howtos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx, Ric