Re: OT: Sun Embraces Linux with New Java License

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> The article below shows that Sun will license java
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3606656
>
> How will it affect the java issue within Fedora?
>
> The license has to be looked at carefully?
>

>From what I can see, it's still a binary-only packaging, which
means that it is no Free and Fedora will *not* be able to
distribute it with the rest of the distribution.

That said, however, it may make it eaasier for maintainers from
repositories such as Livna and JPackage (both highly unofficial,
as far as I know) to package it in an easier-to-install format
(instead of having the user grab the sources, install the libraries,
run the alternatives stuff manually, etc.)

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail