Re: FC5 on inspiron 6400: no sound (snd_hda_intel), slow dvdrom (NEC 6650A)

> For the audio, I had to get the alsa-driver

>From what I've heard from co-workers, the alsa code in the kernel is
about a month behind the alsa project's code, so by downloading their
code directly you probably got the patch I need.  I'm in the middle of
a kernel build now, in preparation for trying the patch.

> For the dvd to work correctly, I had to do the following (I have a
> different brand, but had the same symptoms)
>
> Add to the /boot/grub/menu.lst kernel line the following:
>  combined_mode=libata atapi_enabled=1

Yup, that did it.  Thanks!