Re: Security question - running a root command not being root

thank you all for your help,

i will go in that direction, if i have any other issues will back to you.

greetings,

Guillermo.

Tim wrote:
Guillermo Garron:
I need some guys that access my server to run command that only root
can, specifically (tcpdump) but i don't want to pass the root password
to them.
Is there a way i can do this? without violating the "normal" security
rules? I mean no changing permissions to the command *tcpdump*.

Vivek J. Patankar:
sudo

Don't forget that by allowing sudo you *can* also allow them to do any
command that normally requires root privileges.  Do this sort of thing
with care (read the guides, test things yourself thoroughly).