Re: starting fetch mail when system boots up

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 20:14 -0700, Don Russell wrote:
Is there a (standard/best practices) way to start fetchmail automatically when the system starts? I've googled and seen that it's easy, just "service fetchmail start", but when I try that as root, I get an error that says fetchmail is an unrecognized service.

In my /etc/rc.local I have entries like this, one per user:

su janedoe -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
su johndoe -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 913"

NB:  I picked different poll periods so everything doesn't happen at
once, all the time.

That looks great! I agree with you about using different polling periods... I do that sort of thing too, usually picking prime numbers for similar reasons.... increased entropy to make the universe happy. :-)

Does the -d option override the daemon option if coded in the ~/.fetchmailrc file? man fetchmail doesn't provide that detail.

Regardless, I think it's a good idea to provide the period here, ensuring fetchmail is started in daemon mode in case the individual user left that out of their .fetchmailrc file.

Thanks :-)