gdb crash: Cannot fetch general-purpose registers for thread...

I have a multithreaded program running on updated Fedora Core 4 that I am trying to debug with GDB.  When my program exits, gdb reports an error:

     Cannot fetch general-purpose registers for thread [some big number]: generic error

When I try to do anything else at this point, gdb hangs.  Typing run results in gdb not starting the program and becoming unresponsive.  If I try to quit, gdb becomes unresponsive and I have to kill the process from another window.

I found an older bug describing this same problem, but occuring on gdb version 5.3

   http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl  bug 1981

This is a GDB crash.  Anyone know of a cause (could my program have a bug that is causing it)?  Anyone know of a fix?

Fredora Core 4:
   Kernel:  2.6.17-1.2142_SMP
   gdb:      6.3.0.0
   gcc:      4.0.2-8

This same problem also occurs on Fedora Core 5:
   Kernel:  2.6.17-2174
   gdb:      6.3.0
   gcc        4.1.1-1

Thanks for the help,