Re: Linux home data center challenge :-)

Tom Diehl <tdiehl rogueind com> wrote:

At 00:40 05/10/2006, you wrote:

I was just speculating how hard it would be to turn my Fedora
box (which is up all the time) into the central system all
my other computers go to for information (smtp, dns, imap, dhcp,
etc).

Since you are already using fedora, you might want to look at Centos. That is
a rebuild of RHEL. 7 year support IIRC.

Been doing that here for several years. My "server" (Athlon 1700+ with 768MB RAM) is currently running CentOS 4.4. I originally started out with WhiteBox 3 (RHEL 3 equivalent) but the support and community didn't seem to be there. I wanted to get to an RHEL 4 equivalent with a 2.6 kernel so I could run pam_abl. I installed CentOS 4.3 right after it was released and yum upgraded the system to 4.4 automagically about a month ago. Pretty slick. The box provides my firewall/NAT server, DNS, DHCP, IMAP, POP, SMTP, CUPS, backup (Amanda), Samba (print and shared disk) and NFS. It sounds like a lot for a low end box but the only users are my wife and me.

[root fraud ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.4 (Final)
[root fraud ~]# uname -a
Linux fraud.davenjudy.org 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL #1 Tue Aug 22 23:56:05 CDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root fraud ~]# uptime
09:28:20 up 32 days, 20:37, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce