Time problem with ntpd

Hi, I noticed this aftetrnoon that my system clock is about 23 minutes
fast.  I ma using ntpd, and earlier today it was reporting the correct
time.

So I tried the ntpdate command on a few ntp servers and was getting
the same results, and then now I get:

7 Oct 18:27:59 ntpdate[8452]: the NTP socket is in use, exiting

Even restarting ntpd has no effect and I get the same message.

Any clues?

--
Rob