How does bc work

Hi

Does anybody know where bc stores its calucation while calculating a
number. Basically I'm running 36000000^36000000.

Now after 12 hours of running I'm beginning to think it wasn't a good
idea as I believe it stores its calculation in memory, and I can see
I've only got 300M of swap left.

If it does store it in memory is there a way to force bc to
continually output its calculated results to disk, while storing only
some parts in memory. Or is there another tool for this?

Thanks
Dan