Re: thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Les Mikesell wrote:

There are 2 advantages.  First, you can control what machines
act as mirrors and thus not have to arrange anything with
other parties to get access to the logs.

How would a separate repository solve the problem? The repo information would still be distributed and we still need to coordinate with the mirrors to get more information.

 Second, it gives
the individual user a way to opt out by removing that
repository from their list.

If we collect the update stats from the mirrors transparently and use other specific procedures as a opt in mechanism, we already have this settled.

  A side effect is that you
would not be able to collate data on what packages users
have installed.  Is that something you want?

The discussions here would answer you. https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-October/thread.html

Rahul