boot hangs after installation

Trying to get a FC5 installation up and go on my old computer.
Installation and partitioning process works fine. The 3 harddisks
contain only this single OS, and I chose grub as the bootloader on
MBR letting Anaconda make the choises.

However, when booting I only get a black screen with an L in the top
left corner followed by periodic output of the number 80. What does
this mean? The grub boot menu is never displayed. It seems like the
bootloader is not found, but I don't know how to correct this
problem.

Any suggestions/hints?

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on https://fcp.surfsite.org