Disable internal PC speaker?

Apparently a recent FC5 update has enabled my internal PC speaker.
The resultant beeping from shell tab completion and such is driving me
nuts.  Searching for a solution, I found a post on fedora-devel-list
suggesting to blacklist the module.  For reference, an excerpt from
this post follows.

  On Friday 28 July 2006 13:34, Steve G wrote:
> And also the annoying pc speaker beep that showed up in the last week or
  > two.

  Blacklist the module.

  echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprob.d/blacklist

  --
  Jesse Keating
  Release Engineer: Fedora

I tried the blacklist approach, but the module still gets loaded and
the beeping continues, at least until I manually remove it with "rmmod
pcspkr".

Some config info:

[root chipmunk ~]# uname -a
Linux chipmunk.rodent.net 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp #1 SMP Sat Oct 14 17:15:35 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

[root chipmunk ~]# tail /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist virgefb
blacklist vga16fb

# ISDN - see bugs 154799, 159068
blacklist hisax
blacklist hisax_fcpcipnp

# disable annoying pc speaker beeping
blacklist pcspkr

Any ideas on how to disable the speaker by preventing the module
from being loaded in the first place?

--
Steve Croll