nsswitch/winbindd question

Logwatch, in the Samba section, lists the following:

nsswitch/winbindd.c:main(986)  Could not init idmap -- netlogon proxy only : 2
Time(s)
 nsswitch/winbindd_dual.c:child_read_request(49)  Got invalid request length:
0 : 3 Time(s)

I could do with some pointers on this, as googling only turned up one
reference, which referred to ldap, and I don't use that.

I'm not sure what nsswitch or winbindd do, and maybe I have them running but
don't need them.

All help gratefully received :-)

Anne