OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

For years I have applied paper labels to CDs, using an aligning tool, and
never had a problem.  Around the time I got my first DVD burner I read that,
because DVDs have a denser ring population, they are less tolerant, and one
should not apply labels, but use only a pen.

ISTR that a couple of months ago someone on this list remarked that this is
nonsense.  Does anyone care to share their experiences with me?  Thanks

Anne