What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate

I want to install FC6 on my laptop. When I install I usually do a complete new install instead of an update. For example when going from FC4 to FC5, I did a new install. how can I partition my hd so that I can keep /home and not overwrite it? Do I make it a separate partition? What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?

Ed