workspace switcher only rotates horizontally

Now that I have the "desktop effects" working, my workspace switcher will
rotate the desktop horizontally but not vertically.

Before, I had four desktops set up like this:

x x
x x

Now if I set workspace switcher preferences to "2 columns by 2 rows" I get only
two desktops; when I click on the bottom half of the workspace switcher it
moves me around between the top two but won't rotate vertically to let me move
to the bottom ones.  To have four desktops I have to set it for 4 columns wide
and rotate everything horizontally.