Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

Jack Byers     byersj hotmail com
root bootp yum.repos.d]# uname -a
Linux bootp 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 #1 Tue Aug 8 15:30:55 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

hitting this error  on  yum commands that worked  only a week or so ago

root bootp byers]# yum provides lsusb
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
[root bootp byers]#

similarly
[root bootp byers]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
[root bootp byers]#

upon googling I found a "suggestion" that
uncommenting the  "baseurl ...." line in the various
repos.d files  might help, but without explanation.

my mystery is that the above commands used to work without any change to the respos.d files

uncommenting the baseurl line   in  -core, -updates, -extras
then  allowed the "yum provides  lsusb"  to work as previously:
All three were necessary.

[root bootp yum.repos.d]# yum provides lsusb
Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
core                                                                 [1/3]
updates                                                              [2/3]
extras                                                               [3/3]
Importing additional filelist information

usbutils.i386                            0.71-2               core
Matched from:
/sbin/lsusb
/usr/share/man/man8/lsusb.8.gz

usbutils.i386                            0.71-2               installed
Matched from:
/sbin/lsusb
/usr/share/man/man8/lsusb.8.gz
[root bootp yum.repos.d]#

I have still not changed -development, -extras-development, updates-testing
I would appreciate some feedback on this behavior,
especiallly before I go much further and really mess up my system.

--is it now required that these baseurl lines be uncommented?

Jack

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/