USB Drive doesn't appear on boot of FC6

An external USB drive attached to my system doesn't appear when the
system is booted.  Nor is the device file for the device created, which
makes it impossible to mount it.  However if I unplug it and plug it
back in, it is detected properly, the devices /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 are
created, and KDE even auto recognizes it.  I am running FC6 on an x86-64
system with all upgrades installed.  FC5 recognized the drive on boot.

How can I make FC6 recognize the drive on boot?

Thanks - jon