Re: fc6 java

Andrew Overholt wrote:
* Marcel Janssen <korgull home nl> [2006-10-26 19:14]:
Before someone asks, the supplied java in fc6 doesn't work for me and I
don't care to fix that.

Okay, but can you tell us why?

Andrew

There are many reasons for using Sun java. I don't know why Marcel needed Sun java, but in my case it would be missing APIs and speed. Other reasons could be that jpackage use a directory structure that is nonstandard from a Java perspective, this could potentially break certain applications or at least their installers.

So to install java, I simply download the binary self extracting package from Sun unpack it in /opt and set JAVA_HOME and update the PATH variable by creating a java.sh
in /etc/profile.d

Regards
Uno Engborg