FC6 on External USB HD with MacBook

Hello All,
I have been trying for the last two days to install FC6 on an external USB HD used with my MacBook. So far, booting off the DVD I get a kernel panic unless I specify noapic. To avoid the kernel panic, I have tried the following commands. They all get me to the installation process but none recognize the USB HD.

linux expert noapic
linux askmethod noapic
linux expert askmethod noapic

I can see that usb-storage is not being loaded but I'm not sure why and I always thought that 'askmethod' would force it.

I read that another user had similar problems ( https:// www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-October/msg01358.html ). He kept trying his luck at not plugging in the usb cable that powers his USB HD and that seemed to work for him but not for me. He's also not using a MacBook. Anyone have any suggestions other than throwing out the MacBook and getting another ThinkPad? :-)

Cheers,
Pankaj