Weird compiz problem with nvidia twinview

Ok, so I finally got compiz working on FC6 with my nvidia twinview setup
(single card, dual-head). Here's the weird thing:

Without effects enabled, each monitor acts like a separate desktop
segment. I can maximize a window and it will only maximize to that
monitor.  The top and bottom bars span only my left screen.  My right
screen is "extra space".

With effects enabled, both monitors together act as a single segment, so
maximized windows span both screens.  This is obviously not desirable.
Any idea why this happens, or more to the point, how to fix it?