Re: send e-mail without use sendmail

Les Mikesell wrote:
Dario Lesca wrote:
I'm looking for a line command utility (MTA) which send an email direct
to a SMTP external server.

if I use: "echo bye|mutt -s bye user dom it"

the message is send to local sendmail, then sendmail send it to mx
record dom.it, but dom.it refuse me for security and anti-spam reason.

I'm looking for a command which send my message direct to my provider,
like evolution or Thunderbird do.

You don't need to stop using sendmail for that, just configure it to do what you want. Edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc where it says:

dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
dnl #
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl

This is the "correct" way to do it.

In a later email, Les, you recommend masquerading. This will probably work for Dario, but it has the disadvantage that it only works if there's a one-one mapping: if debian here is the same as debian westnet com au, my Internat Access Provider.

In my case that's not so, and if debian westnet com au does exist, then it's certainly not me.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait