I don't want my home directory to be my Gnome desktop

So I do:
Applications->System Tools->Configuration editor

And then I go to apps->nautilus->preferences

But the option:

desktop_is_home_dir

although set to false (the checkbox is not ticked) appears as ticked
in the icon on the left (in the name column).

and consequently I see all my sub-directories on the dektop (which
makes it far too crowded).

Do I need to check the permissions of ~/Desktop, or is there some
other option that needs changing?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire