Re: Iptables port 5353 -

Steven Stern wrote:

5353 is used by Windows dynamic DNS. If you're not supporting dynamic
DNS on your local network, you can continue to drop/ignore the packets.
They're needed only by a DNS/DHCP server.

I don't think so.

Google combinations of "udp port 5353" "zeroconf rfc" "zeroconf" "bonjour" and "rendezvous."

I have it open, but then I see the occasional Mac. I don't think Linux (yet) actively uses it; Windows XP does not, unless one downloads some software from Apple.

I think Windows addresses the same sorts of problems with uPnP.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait